Monday, July 14, 2014

Erica's #45 - Go to a Soccer Game

Soccer was my sport growing up - I played from age 7 through 17.  My family spent weekends on the soccer fields (especially when my younger bro was playing too).  And it wasn't just in the warm months - when we couldn't play outside in the Winter, we were playing indoors.

After high school, I stopped playing soccer.  I went to a huge state school, and there was no way I was going to make a Division 1 team, and honestly I needed a little break, so I let my love of the sport wane.  I've toyed with the idea of getting some 30-something friends together to play indoor soccer again, but it's tough these days to commit to a regular schedule of games during the week!  Maybe someday...

Indianapolis finally got a national-level soccer team this year!  This is Indy Eleven's inaugural season, and so far, they've sold out every game they've played in town!  We'd been waiting for a weekend when we didn't already have other plans to buy tickets, and when my work offered them at a discount, we went ahead and planned to attend the May 31st match against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders.

It worked out that my parents were coming to town for a visit that weekend, so we ended up going to the game with them, Mel's parents, and Mel's sister and nephew.  We sat in the "Brickyard Batallion" section, which is the loud, general admission, cheering section for the team.  We got there early to get seats in the front to avoid all the crazy people standing in front of us, and enjoyed a fun evening of soccer.  It was a beautiful night, and we had a good time even if the Eleven didn't manage to win!

I also ran into an old soccer pal that I hadn't seen since high school.  And we ran into Mel's cousin's family too - small world :)


No comments:

Post a Comment